Wednesday, 29 October 2014

Running the Embarcadero



All my running seems to be along the Embarcadero at the moment, and every Garmin log reads like what once would have been exotic and exciting but now seems to reflects a distinct lack of imagination: "30th October, 2014, Embarcadero, San Francisco. Run 6 miles 45:30" The Embarcadero is exotic, without any doubt. There's AT&T Park, home of the Giants Baseball Team who could - in just a day or so - be World Series Champions ("World" in "World Series" actually being 2 bits of white middle class America but we'll let that go for now). The statue of Willie Howard May - 4th highest scorer of home runs - is another highlight. Incidentally, I met the HIGHEST scorer of Home Runs, Barry Bonds, a few weeks ago in a restaurant. I didn't know who he was, and ignored him until the Restaurant owner let me know. Then I did know who he was, but still ignored him. Baseball meant nothing to me then. It does now; it's really exciting and is compulsory viewing for the whole family now!  There's plenty of other interest along the Embarcadero, including of course, the many many beautiful people strutting their stuff but also the Ferry Building, Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf, Allioto's and Aquatic Park. But I ALWAYS go there to run these days. I haven't been out with the Golden gate Runclub for weeks; I haven't been down Chrissie Fields. Why? Two reasons: firstly I am training hard with cycling, swimming and core conditioning and it leaves little time for running, so I snatch a run at lunchtime or after work and Embarcadero is just there. You can't run the streets because of all the traffic lights. The other reason is my obsession with numbers. I've got target times now for 1K, 2K, 3K, 5K and 10K along the Embarcadero. I know the markers, and I can blast it to The High Dive bar for a 1K, or AT&T for the 2K, etc. and then I can get comparisons. I can then study the charts, seeing how my pace was, and how my HR responded. You know how they say your life flashes before your eyes before you die? You're supposed to be thinking of all the experiences you've had, the loves and the laughs, the highs and the lows; my final second will probably be reviewing my HR trend! I really must get a life before I die. Anyway - the Embarcadero. I regularly run past a building that usually has a few people outside. I didn't know - or care - what it was. The other night, we had some friends staying and they suggested we all went out, had a meal and a few beers. I wanted to stay fresh for a double-session run and bike the next day. The lovely Rita (AKA Jo) hit the roof! She really laid into me. "You said when we agreed about your training that you would be more flexible and go out occasionally. You've got friends over from the UK and we are going out!" I'll say this about Mrs Stock: she goes along with pretty well anything, and she doesn't complain much, but when she digs her heels in that's it. There's no point in arguing. So we went out to a place called The Epic Roast House. The owner is clearly no shrinking violet! "What shall we call the restaurant then?" "EPIC". I love it - have pride in what you do. When we arrived I was doubly excited to discover it was the place I ran past on the Embarcadero! A running landmark. No-one shared my joy, but it was a great evening. And it was Epic.
















No comments:

Post a Comment