Had a run-in with a guy on a motorcycle yesterday, first time I've really had any issues with traffic here. I was on my bike, on my way to getting a high-tech bike fit. I was in with the traffic on highway 101, known as "Van Ness Street" at the point I was riding. It's a dual carriageway with 3 lanes either side (I suppose that technically makes it a triple carriageway) but it's not as imposing as it sounds, it's just a city street with parked cars and lights and all sorts. It's actually the boundary where they managed to stop the fires in the city after the 1908 quake. It's a really wide street, and the fires were running out of control so they dynamited all the houses running up to it and created a break big enough to stop the fire. As I said, I was "in with the traffic" meaning I was just keeping up with the flow, not getting in anybody's way or vice versa, no issues. But this biker thought I had no right to be there and from the safety of his machine, yelled a load of abuse and told me to "get off the fucking highway". Now we aren't talking high speed freeway here, it's a city street, and I've very right to be on it. It might give you an idea of the average speed if I say that it wasn't a huge effort to put the bike in the big ring and catch the sad little chap up at the next lights. He didn't seem so brave when I pulled across his motorcycle and put my face in his to politely ask what his problem was. I extended his vocabulary somewhat, told him to take the next left or I'd pull his head off at the next lights, and carried on my way. All a bit unnecessary really, but I'm not about to start taking abuse from anyone, least of all someone who thinks they can hurl it and leave the scene. I'm glad it didn't go any further, for two main reasons: firstly, I'm well aware of how a Lycra-clad cyclist in plastic-soled shoes looks in a fight; secondly, because the headline "immigrant attacks San Franciscan citizen" and the subsequent deportation wouldn't look good on my CV.
No comments:
Post a Comment