Tuesday, 11 November 2014

Having a (bike) fit

This is nothing to do with road rage - I'm over that. No - I'm getting a new bike, and I want a full-on TT (Time Trial) bike. In other words, one built for speed, The bike I have now, and have had for about 4 years, is basically a road bike with a TT front end, which means that while I can still get down onto the aero bars and be aerodynamically efficient I still sit back behind the chainset. Imagine a vertical line drawn up from the centre of the pedals. All road bikes have the saddle well back from that line, but TT bikes go closer and closer to it. Closer to the vertical line means you are nearly above the centre line of the pedals and you're pushing straight down. Which means you are more efficient, so if you work as hard as on the road bike you go faster. But, its a radical position as your whole body is tipped forwards, and I wasn't sure if mine would cope with it. I was concerned that either it simply would not bend that far or be too uncomfortable to sustain, or that I would lose power and not gain it. So, before I lashed out the cash I got myself a computerised bike fit.
This involved more technology than is reasonable, and two video cameras, while I was wired up with laser diodes to locate all my joints and pivot points. I then cycled on an infinitely-adjustable rig while the software and the tech guy measured angles, cadence, power and so on. The end result is that I simulated riding on a selection of TT bikes while making sure I could be comfortable and efficient. At first, it felt like I was riding off a cliff, but once I got used to it I felt more natural. The output video looks like I'm running on the bike
The fit took 5.5 hours! It had better work. I can't say how much it cost, but let's put it this way: I could have got an Armani suit and come back with change. That said, I don't think an Armani suit would make me quicker on a bike, and that's all I'm interested in. "Why?" you might ask; well it so happens I've got a bit of a challenge on my mind, and I'm going to need to be in top shape, with top kit. Jo may kill me when she finds out, but I'm sure she already suspects I'm up to something.

No comments:

Post a Comment