Saturday, 20 September 2014

Dangerous business, relaxing!



So there you go, a nice relaxing day, with no training. What could be nicer than a day by the sea? We went to San Rafael, on the way to the beach, and passed a surf place. "Let's rent a kayak!" Says Jo (she who hates getting her hair wet, gets seasick in the bath, and can't swim). Well we ended up with a paddle board, couldn't be hard could it? The surf dude said if we could stand on the pontoon where the boards and kayaks were, then we'd be able to do the paddle board. Right. I got on the board, pushed off, stood up and - straight off again. 3 yards I got and I was into the water. I put my hands out, as you do, and sliced them on something really sharp. I got out and there was blood dripping down my arms, I'd cut my feet, my elbows, my hands. What a mess! Of course we had no first aid kit so I stemmed the blood flow with kitchen roll while the cafe got hold of the Park Ranger. He patched me up and we had our picnic. Then Katy had a go. No problem, off she went. Came back, off went Jo. No problem at all. So it was just me then! I might be having a day resting my body, but my ego was having a pretty difficult time. I had to try again, and this time I managed to somewhat shakily get across San Pablo bay. 
We did have a good day, and it was sort of restful, and the surf dudes didn't laugh too much when I turned up all bandaged. But I might get back to training sooner than I intended. It's safer!

No comments:

Post a Comment