"The USA National Triathlon Championships". Its got a good ring to it, hasn't it? I'm obviously really pleased to have got there, and it's taken me a few goes to do it, but that's in the bank now. Now, I have to do well. I remember the words from Rich's blog at the 2012 European Championships, where I'd set myself a goal of getting a medal. Rich said that when I set a goal its hard, but achievable. That mostly, other people don't originally get it, or believe it, but that I am realistic enough to set a goal that I can achieve, even if its a stretch - sometimes a big stretch. Well, "Escape" was a big stretch. I knew I was weak at the swim, which is essentially the whole point of "Escape", so setting myself a top ten target was a big ask. I also knew that it was within my grasp if a lot of things went well, and if I did that I would get my qualification It was, I did, and I got it. Right, so now I have to figure out the Nationals. First problem? My physical condition - my form. I planned to be at peak for "Escape" so now I'm going over the top and into a relative decline. I haven't got time to dip and come back, but it's really too long to stay on peak, so I'm betwixt and between.
My first attempt at shaking things up went badly wrong (see: "too many variables") and caused me to re-evaluate my position. It seems that top ten is way off. My personal best would get me 34th spot based on last year's times. I went to see my pals at the local bike shop for some advice. I've got my fast wheels - the Zipps - which I use on a flat course like Wisconsin is going to be, but I usually use Gatorskin tyres and heavy tubes, and I carry repair equipment. This is so that if I have a minor issue such as a flat I can keep going, but I was asking the guys about a high-risk approach. I have some lightweight tyres with a slick tread, and some lightweight tubes. What if I was to go for a "shit-or-bust" approach and have no contingency for problems? Well, the response was pretty well what I could have worked out for myself: "how would you feel if you DNF?" I'm getting one chance at this, so clearly, a DNF (Did Not Finish) isn't what I want history to record. In any case, as the course is flat, weight-savings aren't that important.
OK, so no easy ways to speed there then. As far as training is concerned, I think I've already proven that I haven't got an answer. Race strategy may help, but it isn't going to give me 10 minutes. Aside from cheating and drugs, I can't see any way to do it. Even doping on an Armstrong scale probably doesn't give you that sort of margin!
I hate to admit this, but I might just have to go as a "makeweight". Not contending. Not hoping for a podium. Not hoping for a top ten. This is not territory I like. I haven't done an event simply for the enjoyment of it for some time. Once again I am a man without a mission. "Satisfied" with a good performance isn't really anything I want to contemplate. A PB might do it, though? Hmmmm....
My first attempt at shaking things up went badly wrong (see: "too many variables") and caused me to re-evaluate my position. It seems that top ten is way off. My personal best would get me 34th spot based on last year's times. I went to see my pals at the local bike shop for some advice. I've got my fast wheels - the Zipps - which I use on a flat course like Wisconsin is going to be, but I usually use Gatorskin tyres and heavy tubes, and I carry repair equipment. This is so that if I have a minor issue such as a flat I can keep going, but I was asking the guys about a high-risk approach. I have some lightweight tyres with a slick tread, and some lightweight tubes. What if I was to go for a "shit-or-bust" approach and have no contingency for problems? Well, the response was pretty well what I could have worked out for myself: "how would you feel if you DNF?" I'm getting one chance at this, so clearly, a DNF (Did Not Finish) isn't what I want history to record. In any case, as the course is flat, weight-savings aren't that important.
OK, so no easy ways to speed there then. As far as training is concerned, I think I've already proven that I haven't got an answer. Race strategy may help, but it isn't going to give me 10 minutes. Aside from cheating and drugs, I can't see any way to do it. Even doping on an Armstrong scale probably doesn't give you that sort of margin!
I hate to admit this, but I might just have to go as a "makeweight". Not contending. Not hoping for a podium. Not hoping for a top ten. This is not territory I like. I haven't done an event simply for the enjoyment of it for some time. Once again I am a man without a mission. "Satisfied" with a good performance isn't really anything I want to contemplate. A PB might do it, though? Hmmmm....
No comments:
Post a Comment